Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Desert



When I was a teenager, I decided I liked the Southwest, the desert.  My dad brought me a skull from a steer with long horns for my bedroom.  One day I came home from school and there was a cactus that he'd dug up and put in a pot.

(Do the designers on HGTV know about my dad?)

I still love the desert.  It is stark and beautiful and sunny.

Today after blinking like moles in the light once we landed and emerged in the sunny Palm Springs airport, we rented our car and headed for the hills.

We went to Joshua Tree National Park.

We weren't exactly sure what a Joshua Tree was, but now we know.


There were also a lot of amazing rock formations...

Easter Island?
 (which Mark loved to climb on)


...and plants.


In one part of the park, a lookout, you could see the San Andreas Fault (comforting?!) and Palm Springs and Palm Desert and as far as Mexico.


The desert makes me happy (so does my girl).


2 comments:

Stephanie L Johnson said...

I like the photo of the Yucca plant, spikey, green and reminds me of my grandma Dolly. For Christmas, in New Mexico, my grandpa Lovell would dig some up for her, she would put those spiced gum drops on the ends and give them to us. We kids would eat the black ones, but leave the rest.........
Christmas in the Southwest, a different and rare kind of special. Now I am missing my grandparents

Sage Grayson said...

Beautiful pictures. I love desert plants and that whole South Western vibe. We vacationed in Tucson once, and everything seemed so gorgeous in the desert light.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails