Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

I wish I could teach it

I impress myself.

I'm that awesome.

Saturday I loaded up a big bag full of books I want to get rid of.  I was going to sell them on Amazon but then I remembered Half Price Books.  They buy books!  I could get the whole task accomplished in one fell swoop. Such efficiency! 

I had some books with minimal to questionable value...the kind of dime a dozen chapter books that beginning readers read.  I had some that were brand new (because I bought them not knowing we already owned them).  See first few sentences of this blog post. 

I figured they would give me a good amount of money for my big bag of books.  They told me there would be a bit of wait.  I asked Braeden if that was OK.  He shrugged and said, "I'm not going anywhere." Braeden's an excellent sidekick, especially in a bookstore.

He wandered off in pursuit of treasures, and I browsed around myself.

Braeden checked in with me a few times.

"How much longer do you think it will be?"

I apologized to him. Neither of us realized what we were getting in to.

We persevered though.

Braeden found a book he's currently reading and sat in a teeny tiny chair in the children's section and read.  He looked funny, his knees up around his ears.  He was gamely reading though; he's a good sport.  He was the single bright spot in my afternoon.

Finally, after an hour, (yes, an hour) they called my name.  I was ready to hear the vast sum of money I was going to get in exchange for my stacks of books and the hour of my life I would never get back.

"$5," the man said.

"$5?"

"Yes, $5."

"For all the books?"

"Yes."

To say I was demoralized is putting it gently.

"Never mind," I said.  Braeden told me under his breath that he would flip over bookshelves if I wanted him to.  I did, but I told him no.  I gathered up my books and took them out of the store with my tail between my legs.

I had Braeden carry the 4 books I bought while I was waiting.

Yes, I bought more books since I'm not only being extremely efficient, I'm also, you know, getting rid of books.  

It's really working well.

1 comment:

Sage Grayson said...

That stinks! They couldn't even give you an estimate of how long you'd have to wait? You're better off selling them on Amazon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails