Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Startling discoveries

Yesterday I was heating up some soup for Mark and me.  (Campbell's Chunky Soup,  Sirloin Burger...I love that stuff.  I have loved those tiny little burgers since I was a little girl.)

After lunch we were heading to the YMCA for Mark's "Swim and Gym".  He said, "Mom, will you do the headcount?"

(By that, he means he wants me to ask him everything he's supposed to take so he can make sure he has it all.)

He was wearing his swim clothes so I went through the items he'd need.  "Towel?"

"Yes."

"Goggles?"

"Yes."

"Shorts?"

"Yes."

"Underwear?"

"Yes."

"Shoes?"

"Yes."

"Socks?"

"Yes."

"It sounds like you have everything," I said.  I dished the soup into bowls and started toward the table.

"You know what I should do?" Mark asked, wheels turning in his little head.

"What?"

"How about if I get clean socks once a week when it's time to go to the gym?"

"What?!" I said, pausing on my way to the table, "Mark, socks are an every day thing.  You get a clean pair every day."

Silence reigned in the kitchen as Mark and I stared at each other in shock.  He was amazed by the revelation that socks needed to be changed every day.  I was amazed he didn't already know that.

(It occurs to me I should have noticed a desperate lack of socks in Mark's laundry pile when I fold clothes.  But I never noticed.)

Sometimes I feel like I should request a do over.  Surely I could be a better mother if I started over.

I think about rewinding the clock 16 years though and I think never mind.

That is way too exhausting.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Laundry once a week, in one fell swoop . . . that's my best attempt at keeping a handle on things. "So and so, there wasn't enough underware in the laundry this week." :)

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a comment Braeden made about time to change his socks when they got crunchy. When you don't have to leave the house for school and you wear sandals year round like your dad, socks aren't an everyday necessity. Don't fret Braeden now changes socks daily so there is hope for Mark.

Geri

Thelma said...

Oh dear, I forgot about crunchy socks. That was Mark, not Braeden. It should have been a red flag...

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm impressed he came up with the idea to change them once a week. My kids wouldn't think of that. He's doing great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails