Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pikkujoulu 2013


I don't have my act together.

I wish I did.  Marianne asked me how my luxurious weekend was and I said, "Not luxurious."  Because I feel like I've been running a race I can't win (big surprise, I've never been a fast runner).  My act.  It's not together.

I didn't take many pictures, I didn't make as many cookies, I didn't have much (if any) finesse to any of it.

Here's the thing about Pikkujoulu though: it is still good.  It's like life and pizza.  Even when it's bad, it's good.

This is Mark kissing his bicep.  What I can't tell you is why.
We ate clam chowder in sour dough bread bowls.  (Any evening that starts that way is a winner.)

We sang, the kids played the piano, I was going to read one of my sentimental Christmas books but I didn't feel like crying so I scrapped it.  We played a Victorian parlor game introduced to us awhile ago by Eric.




We each wrote a bit of a story then folded it over and passed it on.  The following stories were a result of our efforts:

1. Aunt Mary met Zorro at Winco.  He said, "Dang...that man is as hot as Helios," as he looked at his own reflection.  She said, "Oh, hi."  So they embraced and were destroyed by the hail of bullets being emitted from the car of Juan del Caspo.

2. Jahosephat met the dishy vicar named Phillip on the Argossy Christmas ship.  He said, "You have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen."  She said, "I ain't no raven, and I don't know no 'Lenore', but bro, never more!"  So they said hi in the TARDIS.

3. Amy Pond met J. W. Featherstone while chaperoning a youth dance.  He said, "See the falling star."  She said, "I can't believe you would say that to me!" And so finally, FINALLY Peter got the job he had been applying for for ten years.

4. Elizabeth met Ernie the Elf behind Steve's house.  He said, "Hi." She said, "Boy! Don't you give me no sass!"  So, the moral of the story is, choose your words carefully.

5. Sally from the Nightmare Before Christmas me Rory Williams underneath the Caspian Sea in a submarine.  He said, "Does my tie look age appropriate?" She said, "Oh! My water just broke."  So they decided not to get married after all.

6.Clarisse the Reindeer met Rory Arthur Pond-Williams in the TARDIS.  He said, "Wow, you remind me of this dream I had."  She said, "That depends on who is asking," then the snow fell on top of the car.

(I didn't say they were particularly good stories.)


Adam read to us from the scriptures about the birth of Jesus and we read aloud The Living Christ.   Once upon a time we had it memorized but now just Adam does because he's Adam.

We exchanged Christmas ornaments and Geri attached pretty snowflake earrings to the package for me and my gift was a gorgeous embroidered dishtowel which I will never use on dishes because it is way too pretty.


She gave the kids jingle bells which prompted an impromptu performance of...Jingle Bells.

They all seem to have their eyes closed...they get it from me.  Also, I am realizing Braeden has the same clothes on as the previous day.  He's been like that ever since he could dress himself.  He is a repeat clothes wearer.  New underwear though.

Then we ate our fudge and cookies and Braeden tap danced for us.  (Any evening that ends that way is a winner.)

I may not have my act together but there is nowhere else on earth I would rather be.


Today is Mark's birthday!  Happy birthday to my favorite little ginger.  More on that later. 







3 comments:

Marianne said...

I love your new dishtowel and the table runner.

Marianne said...

I love your new dishtowel and the table runner.

Olivia Cobian said...

I also love your new dishtowel, but I'm not going to tell you twice. I love the table runner as well, but didn't I give it to you, and is it maybe tacky for me to tell you I love it?

Mostly I love you and your family. It looks like a smashing success--a wonderful little Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails