Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Books I read January 2016


Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan ****

I always want to like memoirs more than I do but I actually loved this memoir.  It was just so well written!  She wrote about a pit stop on an around the world trip as a young adult.  She stopped in Australia to be a nanny to earn money for the rest of the trip.  Through her work, she came to know and appreciate her mom and it was just masterfully crafted.  It was an interesting story too.  You should read it.




Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty ****

Emma, as a Sherlock fan was a little impressed that I was reading a book by Moriarty.  It was recommended to me by the lady who cuts my hair.  We mostly talk about books and our kids while she cuts my hair.  I like her even though she was stunned when she asked me what math class Emma was taking and I said AP calculus.  She said, "And you homeschooled her?!?"  Some people think that when my kids are smart it is only because they were able to somehow overcome being homeschooled.  That's OK.  I didn't homeschool to impress skeptics.  It was for my own entertainment as much as anything.

Also, this book?  I loved it!  It was the kind of book where I had to put everything else on hold so that I could finish reading.  It was dark and violent and light-hearted and funny.  How does that happen?  It's a little bit like Where'd You Go Bernadette in that it is about the parents of kids that are in the same class at school.  It's set in Australia and was just one big suspenseful delight.




You Before Me by Jojo Moyes **

I don't know how many stars to give this book.  I really liked it until I hated it.  The ending was horrible.  I don't want to spoil it if you want to read it (but you shouldn't read it unless you want to be thoroughly depressed).

That's all.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Did your last book have anything to do with Australia? I was sensing a theme until then. Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails