Pages

Friday, July 1, 2016

Books I read June 2016


Where We Belong by Emily Giffin ***

I liked this book.  I like Emily Giffin.  Even though I've never met anyone like her characters, they are at least consistent and that matters. It's about a 36 year old woman whose world is turned upside down when her 18 year old daughter (who had been adopted as an infant) shows up on her doorstep.




Where She Went by Gayle Forman ****

This book was a sequel to Should I Stay which I also enjoyed.   In Should I Stay, a family is in a tragic accident and the sole survivor, a teenage girl, is deciding whether to live or not.  This book is three years later and is from the point of view of her boyfriend at the time of the accident (they're no longer together). 

And then I turned into Goldilocks.  No books seemed right.  I was busy and it's hot.  Maybe I'm restless?  I don't know.  I started but didn't finish (recorded here so I don't decide to read them again):



Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini


It was mildly interesting.  There was a lot of historical information in it but if you're an American and paid even minimal attention in school, you already knew all the history.  I just wanted the story.




Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

I've seen the movie and liked it and I liked the book too, but it was really dense and I wasn't making good progress.  What can I say?  Blame it on the heat. I'm shallow.



13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad

I heard about this book on NPR and it sounded interesting to me.  I don't think I read two full pages before I put it back down though.  Crude and rude.



Casebook by Mona Simpson

I read at least half of this book but found it too depressing and not interesting enough to justify how depressing it was. 



Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

I think I may have already read this book?  I can't remember.  I decided if I maybe already read it and it wasn't all that interesting, maybe I didn't need to read it again. 

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Two books by an author with a first name of Mona--that doesn't happen every month!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails