Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Lost causes

I'm drawn to plants and maybe specifically to plants that are lost causes.

Trayvion.  Poor Trayvion.  Braeden and I brought him home a proud leafy abundance.  Leaves slowly turned brown and fell off and Adam told me to give up but I didn't want to.

Look at him now!


He's not as leafy as when I bought him but he's coming back!  (And that little humidifier on the floor has a lot to do with it.)  Tropical plants and arid air are not always a winning combination.

I had our boys move a hydrangea bush from a pot where the previous owners of our house had planted it.  The bush was too big for the pot, which was cracking, and I couldn't even tell if the hydrangea would survive but I like to try.

For weeks it has done nothing except sit there and look dead while I made sure it was getting enough water and I fertilized it.

And guess what?


That little bit of greenery behind the bush is a volunteer marigold.  They are springing up all over the front flower bed and I love it.

Next up in my lost cause plant list?

This friend.


This peace lily is one of the plants I've had the longest.  It loved the Pacific Northwest and thrived there.  It's struggled here.

But kind of like when google maps tell me how many minutes until my destination, challenge accepted.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

A plant making it when I thought it was dead has been one of the best feelings of my life. It always teaches me a little lesson about hope and resurrection and never giving up. I have a little rose bush I thought had died. Today I noticed that it has one tiny bloom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails