Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

This is summer

I am sitting on the deck this morning.  It's warmish but as cool as it's going to be.  We've entered that time of year.  Stupid hot.

When I look at my weather app on my phone, I have Snohomish there too, just because.  It's a lot of cloudy and rainy there (June gloom/June-uary) and then I don't mind the heat so much.

Because June should be hot and sunny and summery.  That is how the world makes sense to me.

Yesterday I had one of the worst migraines I've ever had.  I was fine in the morning.  Mark and I took our little hike on the hill behind our house, I weeded and watered my flowers.  I talked on the phone with Marianne.  My sweet tutoring students came over and that's when it started to hit me.  I guess because I was tutoring, I couldn't do the normal things I do to stave off migraines so it hit me like a freight train.

Mark was the only one home and he was sympathetic and kind and quiet.  Which is the most you can hope for when you have a migraine.  I retreated to Braeden's room which felt like the coolest and darkest place in the house.

Braeden called during a short break from EFY.  It was hard to talk on the phone but I put him on speaker and it was good to hear his voice.  He was also sympathetic and kind.  He asked me if there was anything he could do for me.  And there wasn't, but I appreciated him all the same.

Mark came to check on me and was fussing over me and wondering if I had a fever.  He asked me about three times if he should call Adam at work.  I wanted nothing more than Adam to come home from work, but it was about 3:00 in the afternoon.  I said no.

Mark walked upstairs and Adam walked in the door.  He came downstairs and found me and I was shocked to see him.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I just felt like I should come home," he said.

That has never ever happened before and I felt loved both by him and Heavenly Father who I think nudged him to go home.  He gave me a priesthood blessing and the tide started to turn.

Emma got home from work shortly after that.  She said, "Do you want a hug?" and of course I did.  Emma's hugs are priceless.  Adam instructed her to make me some toast and I said I didn't want any.

Adam said too bad.

And it did help to eat a little (even though I could only manage about three bites).

Slowly and gradually I started to feel better.

In the evening, we drove over to the Swensons where Emma and Rose and Fiona were working on a chalk drawing.




When we drove away, Adam said, "Those girls are perfect friends for Emma."

It is kind of amazing that our kids always seem to find their people.

I felt like I'd missed an entire day and I kind of had.  In my absence, Mark finished one book and then started and finished another book over 500 pages.  That kid is an anomaly.  He won't read.  When I insist, he'll pick up Calvin and Hobbes or Car and Driver magazine and say, "I'm reading, OK?"

But then when he decides he wants to read, he inhales books like they're oxygen.  I don't know.

Also, as a correction:  the book that started Mark on this reading odyssey was not one I bought him, Braeden bought it for himself.  (He texted me that after he read my blog.)  I guess I was thinking of The Beyonders, or any other of the many books I bought Mark that he won't read.  (If you write inaccurate things about your kids, they'll correct you.  That's science.)

When I was out on the deck with Adam last night, I lamented that I'd wasted the whole day.  He said, "It's fine.  You didn't let anyone down."

And that's summer.

Also summer?  There's a man size footprint on our freezer.


I noticed it this morning.  I blame either Braeden or Mark.  (Adam also has man-sized footprints but I'm giving him more credit than that.)

Summer is nice.

Even when you have a migraine.

I'm going to go wipe off my refrigerator now....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails