Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Team Davis

Saturday I had agreed to help with games at youth conference.

Here was the plan:

Pick up Braeden from being an EFY counselor at BYU.  Take him home and let him sleep.

Take Emma to youth conference with me to help me run the games that were already well established and figured out.

Easy.

No big deal.

Except Friday, Cortney, who I was filling in for Saturday morning, stopped by.  She had done a few rotations of groups on Friday and it hadn't worked.  She said she had completely thrown out every plan and had winged it.

There are two types of people in the world.  There are those who can wing it with group games for teenagers and those who can't.  Guess which group I'm in.

I asked Adam if he would help me (he was there anyway) and of course he said yes.

So OK, not exactly to plan, but Cortney and I talked through a few options.  It would still work.

Saturday morning I headed to Provo to get Braeden.  I was plenty early to get back, tuck him into bed, deliver the pie I was taking to a funeral and pick up the supplies that Cortney was supposed to be dropping off at my house.

Easy.

Except it wasn't.

There was a marathon from Provo Canyon into downtown Provo and all kinds of crazy traffic and closed roads and also road construction in Provo and it took me an hour to get to BYU when it usually takes 30 minutes.  I am abysmal with directions but luckily Provo is one of the few towns I know so I was able to be adaptable in finding my way.

Still.  It was crazy and by then I knew there was no way I was going to make it to youth conference on time and since it was in the canyon with no cell service, I couldn't even tell anyone I was so late.

I didn't know if Cortney had delivered the game stuff plus the plans were all so sketchy and half baked I didn't know if it would work anyway.



I picked up Braeden and bless that little (big) boy's heart!  He was exhausted and looking forward to nothing more than a long nap but he said he would come and help me.  He said, "This is what I've been doing all week.  I've got you, Mom."

(Four of the best words in the English language, "I've got you, Mom.")

I talked to Emma and she delivered the pie and was able to get the game supplies.

I talked to Adam who had come out of the canyon to deliver stuff to our house (long story) so he took Emma and the game supplies and some caffeine for yours truly because seriously.   I didn't even go home but took Braeden straight to youth conference.

I had Emma and Adam and Braeden and truthfully, what more could I want?  (I know, a ginger.  We did get together with him for lunch.)

Adam and Braeden both have booming voices and innovative styles.  They led the games and Emma kept track of the time and managed supplies and handed out cookies and it all worked!  At one point, Emma leaned over to me and said, "Braeden is really good at this."

And he is.

It is the role he was born to play.  He has the loud voice, plus he's big and commanding so people listen to him.  He's funny and fun and I just sat back and watched and thanked my lucky stars that I hadn't been left to my own devices because it would have been a train wreck.

It is wonderful that we all have different talents and can serve in a variety of ways.  Maybe it's easier when you're a parent to look at your kids and be blown away/impressed with their uniqueness.  When we're looking at ourselves, sometimes we just feel not good enough.  But that's just because we're good in so many different ways.

It is also wonderful that we have families.

Whether or not I deserve them, I'm glad these are my people.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad they're your people too! I am loving catching up on your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails