Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

Um...Dad?



Saturday morning, Braeden, the perpetual early bird, got up to get his worm.  (His worm was a small tree that was invading our front flower bed that I had asked him to get rid of.)  He wanted to do it in the early hour before it got hot.

Braeden is a lot stronger than he is careful and he punctured a sprinkler hose in his zeal which resulted in a deluge (the sprinklers were on at the time).  He quickly turned off the water and came inside to report his doings.

Adam, having just woken up, sleepily said, "Call before you dig."

Then he said, "You can help me fix it."  Braeden happily agreed with all the enthusiasm of a 6'4" Lab puppy (because that's basically what he is).

And they went out and repaired the problem.

Late Saturday afternoon, I asked Mark to replace the toilet seat in one of the bathrooms (the previous one never fit correctly).  Mark's usually good at stuff like that but he got confused apparently because instead of removing the toilet seat, he started removing the tank from the toilet.

Another son, another flood.

Adam hastened to his aid and Emma threw a big bath towel down from the upstairs bathroom, where she was getting ready for work, to mop up the water.  I could hear Adam patiently explaining to Mark what had gone wrong and then he walked him through the steps of fixing the problem and then replacing the toilet seat.

With a sad head shake, Braeden said, "I know how Mark feels.  You think you're doing the right thing and then you mess it up."

Then he added, "It's hard turning boys into men."

And it is.  Except I think Adam's pretty good at it.

Having celebrated Father's Day yesterday, I'm grateful.

I'm grateful for my dad.  When we went to Isaiah's basketball game last week, we were looking for the right gym.  I knew my parents were already there so we were on the lookout for Grandma and Grandpa.  I told Sam (because he hadn't met my parents) that my dad was tall and always had a hat on.  I said, "When I was growing up, I could always find my dad.  All I had to do was look up."

What a blessing it is in my life to always have had a beacon, a righteous and steady man to look up to.

I'm grateful for Adam's dad.  I honor him as well.  Not only was he one of the kindest men I've ever met, he grandfathered our children like it was his job.  Also, he, along with Geri, helped shape Adam into the good man he is.

I'm grateful for Adam.  I am a lucky and blessed woman.  He loves us and works hard and sacrifices in a million ways for us.  Also, he's really witty.  And smart.  And patient.  And makes any mundane thing you're doing fun somehow.

You get the idea.

I love that guy.

Adam got a leaf blower for Father's Day and tried it out on our kids.  They may or may not have been exaggerating just a bit...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails