Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Opening weekend

Lady Bracknell: Well, I must say, Algernon, that I think it is high time that Mr. Bunbury made up his mind whether he was going to live or to die. This shilly-shallying with the question is absurd. Nor do I in any way approve of the modern sympathy with invalids. I consider it morbid. Illness of any kind is hardly a thing to be encouraged in others. Health is the primary duty of life.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest


I have been lax in my primary duty of life.  Not so healthy.  (I did watch The Importance of Being Earnest this weekend though...twice.  I couldn't stay away.)

Saturday night when I was at the ticket booth, writing a check for tickets to the show, Rita, one of the ladies selling tickets asked, "What do you need, Thelma?"

I said, "Sleep."

She meant how many tickets.

Oh.

It was wonderful to have my parents here.  Mark was right, you do need your mom when you're sick.  On Thursday, I enlisted their help in making 48 tea cups out of paper.  I had created a prototype, modified from things I found online.  I knew it was something my dad could figure out.  He did.  He  perfected my pattern.  The three of us sat at the table with scissors and glue and staplers and went to town.  It was sort of fun to do a craft project together.

On Friday I felt worse.  My mom insisted I rest.  She relegated me to my red chair with a red blanket and she made cupcakes to fill the tea cups (to sell at the concession stand for the play) and she made brownies for a funeral I had been asked to make brownies for.  She also did all the dishes and knit Emma a scarf and helped Mark on the piano (you know, in her free time).

Here is a sample of the finished tea cup product:


And then there was the show.  I could gush about how fabulous it was but you may or may not believe me because my son was in it so of course I thought it was great.

It WAS though.  I loved it.  Every member of the cast was wonderful.  They cracked me up--although I tried not to laugh because then I'd start coughing.  I sucked cough drops the entire show and I need some new flavors.  (I wish Willie Wonka made cough drops.)  The costumes and sets were great.  The crew was great.  (The prop manager, Miss Emma Jayne was a personal favorite.)

I am looking forward to another weekend of the show.  I will post pictures when I get some from the photographer.

I am also looking forward to not being sick next weekend.  I felt like a huge slacker for not helping in the concession stand like I usually do.  I thought there was a certain "no" about coughing all over food you're selling though.

I have high hopes for improvement.  I went to the doctor Saturday and had myself diagnosed.  Bronchitis.  I also got an arsenal of medicine to get me through.

As Tabor would say, "The morphine, the better."

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Get well! You will entertaining more company soon!

Marianne said...

The teacup is darling. Please move to Wells and be my drama mama!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails