Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Anybody want help with algebra?

Yesterday someone called me for tech support.  She needed advice on creating a google doc.  I was thrilled.  Someone was asking ME for computer help.  It was a very foreign concept and made me feel like I was impersonating someone else.

Later Braeden asked me for help with his homework.  I thought he was doing physics which is a terrible subject, almost as bad as chemistry (though nothing is as bad as chemistry).  I said, "You want my help? This reminds me of earlier when someone called me for computer help."

Braeden was shocked.  "Someone asked you?!?"

"Well," I said, "YOU are asking me for help."  (In other words, see?  People get desperate sometimes.)

He said, "But this is algebra."

I love algebra and Braeden knows it.  I would do it in my free time for fun.  I don't like science.  I don't like math.  I love algebra.  I don't know.

Equations.  They make me giddy.  I love to solve for x.  I love to factor.  Don't get me started on the quadratic equation or the foil method.  It's like a big puzzle and it is fun fun fun!

I went and got a stack of scratch paper (because I wanted to do a stack of algebra) and I got a sharp pencil.  Braeden does his homework in pen and you can't do algebra in pen.  You need a sharp pencil with a good eraser.  And a stack of scratch paper.  These are just the basic truths about doing algebra.

I started to show Braeden and he said, "Oh, yeah.  I remember now."

But what about the whole stack of paper?  Don't you have other problems you need help with?

No.

He had other homework to move on to.

I think I still have an algebra book from my homeschooling days.  I may just pull it out and do some problems.

I have my pencil all sharpened.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I know that feeling of, You? Really? I feel that way every time someone says. "Hey, you're funny!" Like I could be married to Tabor and not have a sense of humor...

Gwilliam Fam said...

You are CRAZY!

Olivia Cobian said...

I completely agree that the only way to do algebra (or any math) is to use a nice, sharp pencil. Mr. Swanson would be proud!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails