Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Getting my sass back

Yesterday was SUCH a hard day at school.  I keep saying it; it keeps being true.  Their behavior is just. So. Bad.  I refuse to let it best me.

After school, I rearranged desks.  (Mark told me that I do that too often.  He also told me that I need to turn them against each other so they will all hate each other and not talk.  He said I need to do the opposite of trust exercises with them.  He's not really a pillar of good ideas.)

After I had rearranged the desks, I decided to abandon what I've been doing for four years.  I've been having them earn letters toward spelling a word and then they get a reward after they spell the word.

Forget it.  They'll never earn the word.  About five of them are angelic and deserve a reward and the rest DO NOT.  I downloaded an app that Janelle uses, Class Dojo.  It helps track individual student behaviors. I'll be the one walking along with my iPad in the hall rewarding and taking away points.  I know they can do better.  They do it occasionally.  I just need to find out what works and give up on what doesn't.

I will die on this hill!

I went to Draper for my hair appointment with Joelyn after school.  We talked about books we're reading (listening to) and showed each other pictures of our granddaughters.  We talked about Christmas presents for the little ones and good gluten free food.  I always feel like I'm just hanging out with my friend when I get my hair cut.  I told her to take a few inches off.  

After, when she was blowing it dry, she said, "There.  Now you have your sass back."

It was a heady mix, feeling invigorated about my new class management strategy and my shorn head.  

Then I talked to Adam.

He had to stay a day later in Phoenix.

Rats.

At least I had my sass back so I could handle it with equanimity.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails