Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Skilz


Today I was wasting my time when I should have been tending to this messy school room which may or not self destruct any minute by reading on the couch. (why do I admit these things? wouldn't it be better if I was a more impressive person?)

Braeden and Dillon approached me with an idea. They wanted to ride their bikes to Costco to buy one of those "really big chocolate cakes". They had their own money and their own bikes (they just hadn't thought through how they'd transport the cake home).

I needed to go to Costco anyway (and be more productive) so I offered them a ride. Which they jumped at. It was sort of a win win opportunity because I had help lugging milk jugs and Costco sized cereal boxes. There was also the opportunity to correct Braeden's math when he was paying me his portion of the cake (I would provide the transportation but not the cake). Sheesh! Who teaches that kid math anyway?

The boys called the Jorgensen boys to see if they wanted some cake too (who says adolescent boys can't be sweet to each other). They only got an answering machine so the cake sat untouched on the table. Then Dillon had to go home so they decided to divide the cake in half. I directed Braeden to a cake plate via calling up and down the stairs. Then I heard them contemplating how to transfer half the towering chocolate cake from one cake plate to the other.

Dillon said, "We'd better call your mom. They're good at this kind of thing."

I couldn't help it, I felt happy. Of all the many many things I'm not, of all the abilities that I don't have, I'm a mom.

And we're good at transferring chocolate cakes.

I'll take it.

2 comments:

Susie and Jay Larson said...

I love those cakes! I get one on my birthday and when we have family in town. I also love the Dr. Horrible blog. tee hee hee.

Janet said...

I was wasting time reading on the couch too! Frantically trying to finish the book club book BEFORE book club . . . so involved I couldn't even answer the phone. :) What generous boys to share their chocolate cake--most impressive. Eric thinks food should be a love language all it's own. What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails