Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Conflicting Personality Traits and General Snobbery

One of the simple pleasures of my life is saving money, especially on groceries.  You have to eat--food isn't a luxury item--but you don't have to pay top dollar for your food.  I love reading the grocery store ads.  I love a deal.  I've been known to brag about how much I saved at the grocery store.  (Maybe I'd have more friends if I didn't do things like that...) 

But here's the conflict:  I also love high end grocery stores.  Going to Whole Foods is a transcendent experience.  I love all the fancy-schmancy food.   I love the novel foods from different parts of the world.  I love the basic, wholesome goodness of it all.  Even though it's pricey.

Adam calls me a grocery store snob.  (Also I would only go to Wal-mart in an extreme crisis.)

A WinCo Foods opened not too far from us.  It has created quite a buzz.  I was pretty sure I was going to give it a wide berth.  (I've been to WinCo Foods before.)

But then I got the flier in the mail.  Oh the good deals!  They were amazing.  How could I turn down $.48 canned vegetables?  $.18/lb bananas?  $1.98 for a 12 pack of Diet Coke?  How could my frugal-grocery-shopping self resist?

Every time I drove by WinCo it looked like a crazy madhouse.  Cars and people everywhere.  I didn't want to go but $1.98 for a 12 pack of Diet Coke?!?  I recruited Adam to be my sidekick...or I was his sidekick, I'm never sure which.  We went a few nights ago after our kids were in bed.  Adam predicted I would get cranky.  I said, "That's why you're here, so I won't get cranky."

He said, "I'm here so you'll have someone to take your crankiness out on."

(It's so nice to be married to such an optimistic guy.)

I promised I wouldn't be cranky.

Adam promised I was a grocery store snob.

And he was right.  I think it was when I saw a few people with dogs in the store.  There is something essentially and categorically wrong with dogs at a grocery store.  There were blazing good prices but clogged (at 10:00 at night) aisles of slow moving people.  Also, the food options weren't stellar.  There were shelf after shelf of sugar laden cereal and pasta-roni with precious few healthier alternatives.

I will keep going to Albertson's, my old familiar.  I'll go to Whole Foods when I need something snazzy and I'll send Adam to WinCo Foods if I need a screaming deal on something.

He's usually willing to take one for the team like that.

2 comments:

Hannah Stevenson said...

Winco just opened close to us too. I guess I'm becoming a little more of a snob too (but it's because of Macey's...you just can't beat their customer service). I did like the bins of chocolate covered cinnamon bears...just sayin.

Whitney Shane said...

I am not sure if you have discovered Fred Meyer's website yet. I love it!! You can load your coupons onto your rewards card and they are there after an hour. Makes it faster to check out :). Plus I like getting the Rewards in the mail every 3 months

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails