Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Race I Don't Want to Win

Last night as we were leaving the movie theater (Harry Potter), I saw over a hundred people lined up outside Toys R Us.  I heard it opened at 10:00 last night.  There is nothing inside any store that would entice me to stand in that kind of line.  I am not a Black Friday shopper.  No, not me.

I'm a Black Friday decorator.  Today's the day I pull out all the boxes from under the stairs and transform this place.  I love it.

My children love it too.  Mark has been counting down the days 'til Black Friday.  Last night Adam explained to him why it is called Black Friday.  He shrugged.  I think he always thought it had something to do with decorating.

I've been thinking about it and really wondering why my kids love this day so much.

Because I'm not that much fun.

This morning I read this by President Dieter Uchtdorf who is remarkable in my sight.

...it's rather easy to be busy.  We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules.  Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list...Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives.

He was talking to me.

There is nothing I like more than a to-do list.  And if my to-do list is ever short enough that it's doable, I feel mildly uncomfortable and start adding things to the list.  Aren't I an important person if I accomplish superhuman feats?

No, not really.  I'm just unpleasant to be around.

Sometimes my days feel like a race.  In order to win the race (which means crossing off everything on my list), I have to squash the happiness of everyone around me.

This isn't a race I want to win.

So here are my goals for today:

1-I'm not going to make a list* (that physically pains me but I'm not going to).
2-I'm going to be patient with dawdling children.
3-I'm going to blare Christmas music and burn a cinnamon candle.
4-I may or may not get everything done.

 *besides this list--baby steps, OK?

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Hope your list and your day went well. I wish I could see your house all beautifully decorated for Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails