Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Perspective Adjustment

Sunday afternoon, the glow of returning home with my children wore off.  I was sick.  (My eyes--you know it's always my eyes.)  I lay in bed and argued with Adam that I was fine to go to Braeden's church meeting with him.  Adam said, "Stay home and rest."

I finally said, "OK."

But I wasn't happy about it.  I was unhappy that my health was so fragile that one little vacation turned my eyes back into itchy, swollen, oozing, pain.  Too much information?  Sorry.

I woke up way too early yesterday because I was worried about all of my everything.  Including my eyes.  (My eyes that get worse from stress.)

I made a long list of what I needed to do--both the school and homemaking plans that needed to be attended to since my hiatus.  I had no idea what we were going to have for dinner but decided I didn't have time to worry about it.

I ricocheted through my day.  I was gone for most of it because of various appointments (one of them being my eye doctor...I love that guy but I see him too much) and transporting children.  I squeezed in planning the school week.   

When I got home from one set of errands, there was a frozen chicken and rice dinner from Costco from Janet.  She knew about the day I was having and wanted to help.

(She's as good as gold isn't she?)

I congratulated myself for surviving my difficult day.  It had a breakneck pace. I hadn't approached everything I needed to get done, but I'd done what was vital.  I felt like something of a warrior.

Then last night Emma and I went to Target.  Our goal was to buy gifts for a care package for a little girl in her class who will later be donating bone marrow to her brother with leukemia.

I was humbled.

My day wasn't hard at all. 

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  
~Thornton Wilder



Today I feel alive.  I am conscious of my treasures.  Three healthy children are my treasures.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails