Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Phone Book


This is a picture of my sister, Marianne.  I love it.  It captures her very essence.  Wild and free.  (Well, as wild as a thirty-something-Mormon-mother-of-six is, I guess.)

She's pale like a Scandinavian and tall and willowy like a...well, I would have said Dahl but some of us are more short and stubby and are sensitive about it...


Here's her family:
some of my favorite people in this world

There's a whole lot to love about Marianne.  She's good at reaching things on the top shelf.  She's never been known to not be able to cheer me up.  She can put on mascara while she drives and makes anything she's involved with a party.  She is good at writing skits and birthing lovely children and organizing her reluctant siblings.  She also has very enchanting and useful quirks.

She doesn't want to under any circumstances be addicted to anything.  (Is that why she's so thin?)

As I've lamented, I lost my cell phone.  (sniff)  It had every number in it.  Every number that I don't have memorized or written down elsewhere.  I know a few family members' home phone numbers but none of them were home and I was Silent in Seattle.  I couldn't get in touch with anyone.  I finally tracked Marianne down.  (I called her oldest's cell phone...I found where Braeden had scrawled her number on the back of a paper.)  Marianne and her family were at 12 Mile.  It's a hot springs 12 miles away from town (oh, the nuance in the name!).  They were swimming.  There's snow on the ground there.  I talked to Clarissa and she apologized for not giving her mother an earlier message (but I challenge anyone to ever truly be mad at Clarissa...I don't think it's humanly possible).  She handed Marianne her cell phone and said, "Don't drop it in the water."

Marianne was sitting in a hot springs, surrounded by snow.

I told her I needed phone numbers.

She rattled them off.

I said, "How do you know all these numbers?"  She confessed that she doesn't know how to program her own cell phone.

"Also," she said, "I don't want to be dependent on my phone."

She doesn't want to be dependent on anything, but I hope she doesn't mind.

I'm forever dependent on her.




Help one another, is part of the religion of sisterhood.  
~Louisa May Alcott





The above pictures were taken by Marianne's sister-in-law, Deborah.  She is as beautiful as she is talented.  If you live in Utah, do yourself a favor and hire her to take pictures of your family.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

This made me cry. And although I fight dependence, I can't claim independence from my family and sisters.

Did you have to tell the world I'm not smart enough to put numbers in my phone??

Olivia Cobian said...

Lovely post. Lovely shot of Marianne, looking like an eagle ready to soar.

Hannah Stevenson said...

Marianne is my hero (and not just because she can memorize phone numbers).

DeborahPhotography said...

I love it. It's so great to hear what she's like in her sisters eyes. We love her on this side too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails