Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Muddled

Good morning.  Is it still morning?  What day is it after all?  This morning I lost my computer and we all looked for it for about 5-10 minutes.  It was in the boys' room on the shelf.  I've been in sort of a haze all day and I'd gone in there to comfort Mark after he'd been crying for an hour after he broke the blinds in the school room and I'd sent him to his bed for his own personal safety.

Why yes, it has been a fabulous morning.  Why do you ask?

In the pre-dawn hours (which is a lot of the morning in January when you're in the Pacific Northwest), we bid a fond farewell to our guests.  We had a lovely time with them.  It was sad to let them go.  I'll have to tell you more about it/ post some pictures assuming there are any good ones.

First though. 

I've been thinking about it anyway and then heard something today that made me think about it all the more.

It has to do with wedding cakes.  Kind of.


One year at BYU Women's Conference (which rivals Disneyland as the Happiest Place on Earth), I heard something that I've remembered ever since.  I don't know the topic of the session...kindness?  charity?...but the speaker said that instead of being impatient and frustrated by a slow driver in front of us, we should consider that maybe, just maybe, they are transporting a wedding cake.  They need to drive slowly and carefully so it won't be damaged.

Can anyone fault a person for extreme care and slow driving when they're transporting a wedding cake?  I can't.

But I do tend to get irritated when someone is going slow in front of me...especially when I'm late.  If I remember about the wedding cake possibility, I smile a little.

Like a lot of things about me, this is one flaw that needs constant correction.  I tend to judge.  I tend to be hasty in my censure of others.  Sometimes I see others as forgetful or irresponsible or downright flaky.

(Of course, when I am forgetful or irresponsible or downright flaky I have a very good reason.)

We judge others by their behavior.  We judge ourselves by our intentions.
Ian Percy

As I get older (and possibly wiser?) I am beginning to understand more.  I realize that when I am aware of a person's circumstances, I am much kinder to them in my thoughts.  I feel compassion for their follies and don't mind at all if they need me to pick up some slack.

I also realize that someone who might be bugging me with their ineffectiveness may be going through a personal tragedy that I have no idea about.  Maybe they're suffering.  Maybe they're sad.  Maybe they're worried/heartbroken/betrayed.

Maybe I should treat everyone with the same kindness and compassion that I try to treat those I love and understand.

Because there's one thing I know and that is... I don't really know what anyone is going through.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

This is so good. I love you and yours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails