Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rest for the Soul

Like everyone else, I have been saddened by the tragedy in Japan.

I think about the trauma and horror that is being faced by the people there and it breaks my heart.

I think about a time when our family was sorrowful, after the passing of Adam's dad.  As we mourned, we still had our comfortable homes, we were safe, we were surrounded by people supporting and loving us and bringing us food.


And it was still hard.

I can't wrap my mind around what is happening in Japan.

And then there's my imagination.

We live near a major fault line.

We are along the "ring of fire."

We could be the next place for an earthquake, the "big one."

At three in the morning, I consider Adam at work and Braeden and Emma at their various schools, separated from me, and an earthquake striking.  My imagination just spins and spins with the possibilities.

It's no way to live.  What am I going to do?  Keep them with me always so that they'll be safe?  That's both irrational and impossible and besides, how would it keep them more safe to be with me?

So where is comfort?  Where is peace?

During a harried and coming-from-behind, trying sort of day, I found myself sitting in the driveway of our piano teacher with my scriptures.  I opened them to where I happened to be reading.  As I read, even though it had nothing to do with peace or comfort or earthquakes, I felt a warm assurance wash over me.

I remembered.

It suddenly occurred to me that the same Comfort that sustained us when we mourned as a family, is available always.  There will never be a tragedy so great, an earthquake so powerful, or life so chaotic that I won't be able to pray.  I will always be able to seek for the strength that I need.  It will always be ready.

Of course there are awful things happening in the world.  There may very well be awful things happen in my world.

But I can continue on.  I will.  Because I know where I can turn for peace.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:  and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So beautifully worded, Thelma. Just what I needed. Love to you & yours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails