Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Future Career Plans



Of course, you know my kids shun every book I recommend to them.

You also, I'm sure, know that this doesn't hurt my feelings.

Not in the least.

I have self esteem in spades; I'm not phased by narrow-minded, stubborn, free thinking children.  It really doesn't bother me. (OK, a little.)

Here's what does bother me:  Mark, who can read, won't.  And he doesn't like to be read to either.  I believe that if he would just get hooked on a book or series, he will become a reader.  And I want him to become a reader.  I just do. Last week, I told Mark that he had to go to the dentist with me when I took Braeden.  I could have easily left him to run wild with his friends but I realized that at the very boring dentist office waiting room, I would have a captive audience.  I would read to him.

He moaned and groaned about this.

I forged ahead.  I rallied Braeden to help me choose books to tempt Mark.  I arranged them on the floor in a line and told him he had to pick one for me to read to him.

"I have to?"

"Yes."

He picked The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.  At the dentist office, I began reading.  He fidgeted and tapped his fingers and then toes then begged me to stop.  He wanted to go play with the blocks and dinosaurs in the corner of the office.  (I was not anticipating that...why can't dentist offices be more boring?)

I released Mark and he started using the blocks as asteroids to attack the dinosaurs (because when he does read, he reads Calvin and Hobbes...or Lego instructions).

Later, he said that he did want to have The Red Pyramid read to him, he just wanted his dad to read it to him instead of me.

Wow.  That makes it so much better.

Then, Mark had to give a talk on Sunday in primary.  Adam is usually the go to guy to help the kids with their talks.  He sort of interviews them on the topic to get them thinking and then, depending on how old they are, he'll either write down their responses or guide them to do the same.

Adam was gone so I helped Mark.

I asked him questions about his topic.  I wrote down his responses.  I brought up a few ideas.  He soundly dismissed them all.

After Adam got home, Mark worked on his talk with his dad.  Adam made the same suggestions I had made...practically word for word.  Mark readily agreed.

I don't want you to think this bothered me though.  Or that I even mentioned it.  I never try to make my kids feel guilty when they boost my morale in such stunning ways.  Not me.

Sunday night, I was heading to bed and Adam said that he was going to go downstairs and read.

"What are you reading?" I asked.

He gave me a little smile and said, "I don't know, some book about potato peels and societies..."

Ha ha.  Funny man.  I loved and adored The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I thought Adam would too.  He, naturally, has not taken my suggestion.

Adam told me that I should try a new tactic.  Since I'm so brilliant at getting people to avoid my recommendations, I should advocate for things I dislike so they'll eventually be completely avoided by everyone.

I'll do what I can.

May I suggest corndogs?  They're lovely (bleck) and delicious (not really).  You should really eat them all the time (if you want to be sick).

In the future look for my recommendations on Starburst (even the smell makes me nauseous) and Skittles (ditto) and I will sing the praises of Walmart, my favorite store (to avoid).

What do you think?  Is it something I should try?

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I personally always like your suggestions. Maybe you just have a tough crowd. This is Marianne btw.

JoLyn said...

Your poor family is missing out by shunning your recommendations. I just finished "Open House" based upon your blog review and really enjoyed it. Of course, Mark might not be quite ready for that particular novel.

I do hope Adam really does read "Guernsey". I like it so much, I think I would feel personally affronted if someone read it and didn't like it.

Olivia Cobian said...

I love corn dogs--especially served with tater tots. Both must be hot, however and not prepared in the microwave. Maybe they just sound good because they are on the forbidden list of this cock-eyed diet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails