Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

So Far

1.  I miss Emma.  It's weird to be the only girl.  The whole dynamic of the family is altered.

And boys are weird.


Really.


2.  It's hot.  But not in a bad way (yet...I may wilt yet).

Here's the outside temperature according to our van.


94 degrees.  Kind of blows your mind when you've been struggling to get to 70 degrees all summer.  (I guess we're still calling it summer.)

3. I've been reading The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.  It makes me think.  I want Adam to read it so we can talk about it.  (We'll see how that goes...you know how people around here jump to read my book recommendations.)  It's all about how Chinese mothers are superior to Western slacker mothers.

Braeden bought this t-shirt today.

Hard work will pay off later...laziness pays off now.
Yes, Amy Chua.  I guess you have a point.

Maybe I should become Chinese and whip these kids into shape.

We went to Promontory Point to see where the transcontinental railroad was completed and on the way towards Salt Lake, we saw a new temple in Brigham City.  We were intrigued and had no real agenda so we got off the freeway.  The temple was under construction but looks beautiful.  It's right on Main Street which is wide enough to turn a wagon around on just like Brigham Young would have liked.



Across the street from the temple is the Brigham City Tabernacle which was built in the 1870s.  It is a fabulous building full of intricate wood carving and benches packed really closely together.  (People must have been tiny in the 1870s--or really uncomfortable all the time.)

source

 There was a nice couple in the tabernacle that Adam chatted with (I was busy trying to keep Mark somewhat calm).  Adam's conversation resulted in them agreeing to let Braeden play the organ.  Braeden sat down with a hymnbook and played a few hymns.  The organ pipes reverberated impressively and I thought again of Amy Chua.

My boy doesn't practice 4 hours a day with me yelling at him to play better.

But that's OK with me.

sorry...blurry picture
I am, after all, a Western mother.

And that's how we roll.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails