Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Books I Read in November

I started to read:


A Covert Affair by Jennet Conant**

I wanted to read it.  I wanted to like it.  Then I decided I wanted to read something more interesting.  Didn't grab me after 50 pages.  I usually don't have the staying power to read on if it feels like homework.  I gave it two stars instead of just one because this rating system of mine makes an incredible amount of sense in my own head and I do think this would be an intriguing book if I were less shallow.

I did read:

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman***


This book is young adult fiction.  I read it because Emma's language arts teacher said they'd be reading it and that it was "controversial" so we may want to read it ahead of time.  I felt like I won Great Mother points because I actually remembered the title of the book and found it at the library.

I read it with a picky eye (because I was looking for the controversy).  I didn't really find much controversy.  I didn't like the way a few middle school girls talked about how they needed boyfriends to be acceptable because as eighth graders they were at the peak of their beauty (!).  They were minor characters though and hopefully seen through for their silliness when Emma reads it.

It was a great book about redemption and what matters.  I liked it.



Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah ***

I love Kristin Hannah books and I have to read them cautiously because they have a way of taking over my life.  This book is about a sad marriage and lost people.  It's also about courage and hope and forgiveness and I liked it.



Crossed by Ally Condie ***

I am usually not a sci-fi fan but there are exceptions.  I like Ally Condie.  We met her and she was lovely and kind.  I enjoyed Matched which goes before Crossed.  I am looking forward to the third book in the series.  These books are intended for a YA audience I think but they are interesting for adults too.




Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani***

As I rule, I like books by Adriana Trigiani.  Her characters are fabulous.  This book wasn't one of my favorites.  The main character Valentine, had all these issues to work through and it dragged a little.  (Just get over yourself already.)  But I still enjoyed the book.  I like books that transport me to different places like this one did.



I also am cleaning our master closet and bathroom for November and it turns out December too.  Big job.  Big, big job.  And there's a lot going on otherwise as well.  You know, Christmas stuff.  My linen closet (which is in the master bathroom) is currently a thing of beauty.  Sheet sets are folded into dignified bundles with the pillowcases housing the corresponding sheets.  Lovely.  It wouldn't work if anyone else folded them because no one else would take the time.  But since I fold the sheets, I am in charge of the destiny of my linen closet.


Now someone needs to be in charge of the destiny of the shelves in my closet.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I thought about buying my son Matched for his birthday after your recommendation, but then I decided it wouldn't be very fair of me to buy him a present because I wanted to read it. So I bought him the Maze Runner (which I also want to read but which I don't feel guilty about).
In November I read part of Oliver Twist. I've been reading it in little pieces for awhile. And I read "The Paris Wife" (a fictionalized account of Hemingway's marriage to his first wife Hadley Richardson) which I liked better than I thought I would. I kind of felt obligated to read it--long story. I still think I would enjoy "A Moveable Feast" more though.
I also read "The Road" way back at the beginning of the month but you already know what I had to say about that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails