Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Books I Read In October



The Peach Keepers by Sarah Addison Allen***

I like this author.  I like how her novels are completely realistic with believable characters that I can relate to and then there's something magical involved.  It kind of delights me.  This wasn't my favorite book by her but I still liked it.



Crunch Time by Diane Mott Davidson**

Again an author I usually like but this wasn't my favorite.  She writes a series about a caterer who also solves murders.  The detective part is mostly interesting to me and I mainly like reading about the food (these books make me hungry).



The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery***

This book took me a little while to get into.  Usually I don't have the patience to persist with a book after 50-100 pages if I'm not completely interested but this one was highly recommended.  I ended up liking it.  There were interesting characters, fascinating ideas and beautiful language.  It also felt a little bit like homework from my college philosophy class.  Emma asked me if she could read it.  I told her it may be a little too hard.  She doesn't like to hear that.  I told her to read any random paragraph.  She did and handed it back to me.  "I see what you mean."




Letters From Home by Kristina McMorris ****

I re-read this book because my book club read it and I loved the book and wanted to revisit it.  It is compelling and romantic and pleasant (as long as you skim the war parts which I did because I don't like to read about war).

I'm a skimmer.

I even drink skim milk.




2 comments:

Jill said...

I read "Sugar Queen" by Sarah Addison Allen and really liked it. I felt the same way--I loved the mix of realism and magic. It's the only one I've read by her but I may try more. I think I'll add "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" to my to-read list.
In October I read:Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women"--loved it; "Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon--okay but prefer her Mitford Series; and "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy--reviewed it on my blog this evening. I cannot sum up my feelings on that book succinctly. I tried and failed. I'm currently reading Dickens ("Oliver Twist"), and "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain. The jury's still out on that one. It was a book club selection so I'm trying it.
I love getting ideas for new reads. Thanks!

Olivia Cobian said...

I've gone back to one percent milk. It's so much better than skim! I know that's not really what your post is about, but I don't know anything about those books and I know a lot about milk.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails