Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Books I read in March 2012



Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella***

Sophie Kinsella's books are, for me, a happy guilty pleasure.  They're not terribly substantive but they're British which I like and the characters are hapless in a lovable way which I also like.  There's always some sort of scrape you don't know how they're going to get out of and they read like a romantic comedy which I also like.  What's not to like?



Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay****

This book was set in contemporary times as well as the Soviet Union in the late 40s and early 50s.  The history of it fascinated me.  The characters were well drawn and the plot mysterious and compelling.  It was a fictional story about a famous Russian ballerina.  A great read.  Tragic, but so good.



The Walk by Richard Paul Evans **

This book was OK.  I'm not really a Richard Paul Evans fan but we read this for book club.  It's the first in a series which is about a man who walks from Bellevue, WA to Florida.  He got as far as Spokane in this book.  He didn't walk the whole time, for the first part of the book, his life fell apart.  Then he walked.  The characters were flat...either completely (unbelievably) benevolent or completely evil.  It was a bit compelling but I probably won't go any further in the series.




Whiter Than Snow by Sandra Dallas****

I don't think I've ever read anything by Sandra Dallas that I didn't like.  This story was set during the '20s in a tiny mining town in Colorado.  There was an avalanche and each chapter is about someone whose child is affected by the avalanche.  In that way, it was a little like a collection of short stories but then the last few chapters bring everyone together.  It was a good book, though also very sad.  Is it always the saddest books that are the good ones?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails