Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Books I read in August 2012

First, I tried to read a memoir and it was boring.  I want to like memoirs.

Then, I started reading two other books.  I was a few pages into each of them and decided they were trashy.  Trash-y

In a last ditch effort to find something I liked to read while waiting for books to come in that I'd placed on hold at the library, I picked up a Sophie Kinsella book.  They are always entertaining.



Shopoholic and Sister by Sophie Kinsella ***

Sophie Kinsella writes books that make me cringe and make me laugh out loud.  Her characters are both extremely likable and extremely unlikable.  Flawed and funny and kind.  Works for me.



State of Wonder by Ann Patchett *

I feel like this book blindsided me.  It was good.  It was interesting.  There were compelling characters, a fascinating setting, a captivating plot.  Then in about the last five pages, the characters completely disappointed me.  They ruined everything and I felt really disgusted with them.  If I hadn't liked them all along the book, it wouldn't have been so bad.  So don't read this book.  Unless you love being completely disappointed.

Then I read something and I can't remember what it was.  You can see why I record books I've read here.  I can't remember after a few weeks if I've read a book.  That's sad.  I should write this earlier in the month...



I started to read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.  It was about Earnest Hemingway's first wife.  In the prologue, it talked about the end of their marriage.  Depressing.  So I couldn't really get into the book and it wasn't all that compelling.




I also started to read Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.  It had been on my To Read list for awhile but it was hard to follow and depressing and I didn't like the characters very much.  I abandoned reading.




Bright Side Up by Amy Spencer ****

I usually prefer novels but this sort of self-help optimistic book was a good one.  It had simple strategies to give a positive spin to things life throws at you.  I recommend it.

(If I remember that other book I read, you'll be the first to know.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails