Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fortune cookies

We went to a Teriyaki restaurant.  Not my favorite, but they had fortune cookies.  And I am a fan of fortune cookies.  Fortune cookies were supposed to come with the meal.  It said it right on the menu.

Except ours didn't come with fortune cookies.

I told Braeden.

He shrugged in his sixteen-year-old-non-committal-I-don't-care-if-my-mom-gets-her-fortune-cookie sort of way.

(It hurt.)

He went to the counter to get a glass of water.  I said, "Ask about my fortune cookie."

He didn't.

We got up to leave and Adam, the beloved, my knight in shining armor, went to the counter and got me a handful of fortune cookies.

We got into the car and I said, "Remember the story of the Little Red Hen?"

Braeden and Emma immediately knew what I was getting at.

Mark said, "I can't remember, is that the one about the rooster on top of the barn that moves when the wind blows or is that the one about no one would help her make bread?"

(As an aside, I'm not sure what a weather vane has to do with the Little Red Hen. There are some serious gaps in that boy's education and I'm his teacher.  I don't want to talk about it.)

I said, "No one would help me get fortune cookies, so no one gets one."

Adam said, "I don't think I helped you get fortune cookies, I think I got them for you."

(I felt like that was a minor point.)

Mark said, in his sweetest I'm-your-baby-and-you-love-me voice, "I'm sorry Mama, I didn't know you wanted fortune cookies."

I handed him a fortune cookie. (My children only call me mama when they want something.)

Emma said, "I don't have any social skills."

I handed her a fortune cookie, and I laughed because she cracks me up. (And that's why I didn't want to go ask for cookies in the first place...where do you think she gets it?)

"What do you have to say for yourself?" I asked Braeden.

"I love you?" he said.

Adam pointed to the center console in the middle of the van.  I knew what he meant, because we're soul mates.

I put the cookie package down and Adam smashed it with his fist.  Then I handed it to Braeden.

What it comes down to is, with or without the cookies, I have fortune.  I really enjoy these people in my family.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Ah. Braeden deserved to receive his fortune cookie in one piece!

Sage Grayson said...

Hee hee! This made me smile. I'd be mad if I didn't get my fortune cookie too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails