Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

One last hurrah

source

Twenty years ago (!) on the eve of my twentieth birthday, my roommates "kidnapped" me and wrapped my arms in cellophane so I couldn't move. (I'm not sure why this was an important step, maybe so I couldn't remove the blindfold?)  They blindfolded me and led me on a parade through our friends' apartments and drove me around town until I was thoroughly confused about where we were.  We ended up at the trail head of Y Mountain.  My friends told me that as my final act as a teenager, I was going to hike the Y at midnight.  It was memorable.

Fast forward 20 years, we are not on the eve, but on the cusp of the eve (is that a thing?), of 40.  Tonight we are going to a Maroon 5 concert.  Our kids are really excited.  Adam and I are considering how tired we already are.  Between Daylight Savings Time (which is the worst!) and life in general (which is exhausting!) and the fact that tomorrow starts High School Proficiency Exams for Braeden (we have received email and phone messages from the school reminding us to make sure our students are well rested.  Does staying out late for a concert count?  Ahem.)

I told Adam this could be our last big hurrah before we get old and curmudgeonly.  (It's arguable that we've been old and curmudgeonly before this, but just go with it.)

So tonight, the concert.

Tomorrow, the consequences.

You're only young once.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought you and Adam were going to make a 40th birthday hike to the Y!! And your memory is amazing! I totally remember wrapping you up in saran wrap, but I don't really remember the hike to the Y? Happy Birthday Thelma Lou!!

Gwilliam Fam said...

Okay, that first comment was from me! I recently helped Angelique set up a blog for her son who is the MTC. I guess I was signed in under her account? Love you, Erin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails