Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

There's no place like Braeden

When we were on our trip, I wanted to get Braeden a gift to bring home.  I couldn't really find anything he'd like. (How much do you really want a t-shirt from a destination where your family went without you?)  Adam, in an effort to not go to any more shops, suggested he and I take Braeden to dinner when we got home instead.

I liked that idea and so did Braeden.  Saturday, Adam and I told him we'd take him anywhere he wanted to go.  He picked a Mongolian grill restaurant--lots of food and you can pick what you want.  While the man was cooking our food, he was making conversation with us.

"So any exciting plans this weekend?" he asked me.

"Just spending time with him," I said, indicating Braeden.

He sized up my boy and asked, "Are you home from college?"

(I have a feeling that made Braeden happier than any souvenir I could have found for him.)

Besides that boon to Braeden's ego, we had a nice dinner.  We passed Pier 1 while we were walking back to our van and Adam suggested we stop.  "To keep your mom from getting the mopes," he told Braeden.  (It was raining at the time and Adam wanted to prolong the good mood the sunshine had caused.)

I walked around the store and they followed behind at a straggling sort of pace.  Braeden put a zebra face down in a vase and they had all sorts of commentary on everything, especially some of the more peculiar Easter decorations like the abstract green fuzzy bunnies.   (I usually don't take Adam and Braeden to such stores, you see.)

Next we went to a bookstore, we fanned out and immediately all found interesting things to show each other but everything is cheaper at Amazon so we're mostly just window shoppers at bookstores.

It was lovely to be with Adam and Braeden though.  We've enjoyed having Braeden along for as long as he's been ours.

Emma and Braeden have been happy to be together again.  They've taken a walk together and talked about all of their adventures from when we were apart.  They sang songs at the piano together, they played cards.

Mark's had big plans all week about what he and Braeden were going to do.  (We all seem to think that Braeden mostly wants to spend time with us.)  He's accommodating and is willing to spread himself thin.  More than anything, Mark wanted to build a fort.  With Braeden.

The Chez Garçon:

the bead necklaces are because they are jewelry salesmen  (according to Mark)
Braeden made a sign for the jewel shop:


No wonder we all missed Braeden so much.  He's everything to everyone (and he loves making faces for the camera).


Mark's feet poking out of his "bed" in the fort/jewelry store.  It makes my claustrophobic self queasy to even think about it.


I've carefully recorded these warm and fuzzy sentiments toward my first born because in a few days, his backpack will be in front of the door, his textbooks will be on the living room floor, his socks will be left in all sorts of diverse places and he will have drunk all the milk in the fridge.  I'll come back and read this post and remember I really do love the kid.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails