Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Books I read in March 2013


 Dreams of Joy by Lisa See ***

This book was a little hard to get into at first but I ended up really liking it.  It was set in China during the late 50s.  There's so much that I don't know about and communist China is one of those things.  This was a fascinating look at how some people were completely drawn in by the communist ideals portrayed and some people were skeptical.  It was also about how disillusioned people became when The Great Leap Forward ended up leaving people starving and suffering.  Mostly it was about the love between mothers and daughters.  It's hard to describe.  You should read it though.  (I may pick it for book club so if you're in my book club don't read it.  Yet.)


 Once Upon a Time there was You by Elizabeth Berg **

This is one of those books I really liked until the end.  Then I didn't like it as much.  Why can't books just have a satisfying ending?  Is that too much to ask?  It's about a divorced couple who come together to help their daughter who is in crisis.  The characters were all interesting.  I love interesting characters.  I just want them to be smart!




All of A Kind Family by Sydney Taylor **

This was a book I read because Mark read it for school.  It was good.  Not really complex enough that I'd want to read it on my own, but Mark loved it.  That's something.  It is about a family that has all daughters and is set in New York City around the turn of last century.  There was a little bit of a Little Women feel to it.  I was afraid that Mark wouldn't like it, but he did.





The Importance of Being Seven by Alexander McCall Smith ****

Alexander McCall Smith is one of my favorite authors.  I can't decide if I like the 44 Scotland Street series (of which this book is a part) or the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series better.  They are all wonderful.  The books are witty and peaceful and smart without too much plot but I adore every word.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails