Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Books I read in April 2013

The sad lack of books I read is reflective of my peace of mind this month. Too busy to read is too busy if you ask me.



Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor  ****

I read this book aloud to Mark as part of our school curriculum.  It led to good discussions for us about racism.  He was horrified.  It's always a little bit sad to spoil some of your children's innocence.  It's set during the Depression in the South.  It made me really glad I didn't live in the South during the Depression.  I loved the family in the book though.  They were real and loving and strong and good.



Hello Goodbye by Emily Chenowith **

This book was OK.  It was about a family--a mother, father and daughter.  The mother had cancer and was dying.  The family went to an inn in rural New Hampshire for a vacation/anniversary celebration and reunion with their old friends.  I thought there were interesting parts of the book--seeing how a family dealt with impending loss.  I also thought the daughter (she was college aged) was kind of a brat and I didn't like any of the friends.  I didn't understand why they were all friends.





A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt by C. Coco De Young **

Another book I read to Mark.  It was OK.  It was also during the Depression, set in a Johnstown, PA.  It was a little simplistic about a not very simple set of circumstances.  It was written for kids not adults though...



Helen Keller in Love by Rosie Sultan *

I didn't finish this book.  It seemed like it'd be good and it wasn't terrible, it just portrayed Helen Keller as someone I couldn't relate to at all.  I had enough crazy in my month that I didn't have time for a book that I couldn't relate to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails