Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

I don't know where to start

There's something inexpressible about family reunions. 

They are loud and chaotic and wonderful and make me feel complete and like This Is Where It's At.

This picture makes me incredibly happy.
Friday we all met at Olivia and Edgar's--which was the party house of the weekend.

Usually on Saturday they get together and dye eggs and have an Easter egg hunt and the like but we did it a day early because of all the busy-ness of the funeral on Saturday.

Savannah, Carolina and Liliana

This is how innovative kids with severe allergies to eggs dye eggs--with gloves.
Then the older kids hid the eggs and the hunt was on.


Also that afternoon, my sisters and I went over to my grandparents' house, later I thought perhaps that was the last time I'll ever be there.  Did I soak it in enough?  We met several family members there.  Our aunts had laid out some of my grandma's dishes and we could choose something.

I chose this plate, photographed in the early morning light on Marianne's kitchen counter.


I will treasure it.

It was wonderful to be with many of my cousins and we laughed and looked at pictures hanging on the wall and renewed our acquaintances.  We walked down the hall at my grandma's to her room where there were clothes laid out if we wanted them.  When I saw a sweater that my grandma often wore, I cried.  Walking back down the hall and out the front door to the front porch with maybe the best view in the world, I felt like I was walking on hallowed ground.  My grandparents house is one of the anchors of my life.

Later, we gathered again at Olivia's for the evening.  We had dinner and then a talent show.

I couldn't tell if my nieces and nephews were more talented or more adorable.


I love those kids.

My dad recited The Cremation of Sam McGee and both parents acted our their part from their Rendezvous show in Nauvoo.  I could see where all those talented grandchildren got their talent.

It was a spectacular day.  I've always felt like the shadow of this mountain is a magical place.


And now my children are making their own memories there.


2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Lovely post. I miss everyone already.

Emma said...

Why do my cousins have to be so adorable? I didn't inherit those genes, I guess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails