Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Capacity

This quote has been on my chalkboard lately (it's from the movie, "A League of their Own"):

Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard.  If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.  The hard is what makes it great.
I think I needed some bolstering.  I've repeated it over in my head a few times every day.  I've been busy...and working at capacity.

Sometimes I look back at myself years ago and I marvel at how my capacity has increased.  When I was growing up, my sisters and I had to trade off making bread on Saturdays.  It seemed like it took most of the day.

Now I can get some bread rising before I start teaching Mark school and I hardly notice.

When I was a brand new mother, things like dishes and errands and laundry were the Main Things I did (besides try to figure out how to be a mother).  Now I squeeze those tasks in wherever they fit.  I load the dishwasher while Mark does his math.  I dart in and out of the store while my kids are at their piano or voice lessons.  I have a load of laundry going every day and I do A LOT of other things besides.  I can't imagine if those were the only things keeping me busy now.  I am a lot more capable than I used to be.

As my dad would say, I didn't get that way sitting in the bunkhouse.

I don't know the point of all this, I've just been thinking about it.  Some days I don't know if I am sinking or swimming; drowning or waving.  It's good to remind myself that saying yes to opportunities to serve and learn and grow (for myself or for my children), make me more competent.

Here's hoping at least.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails