Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

On the road

I love a good road trip, and we are on the road.  (There was even a Cracker Barrel involved.  Why aren't there any of those in Washington?)  After a summer that seems like I've had one kid missing at any given time, it has been wonderful to be in the van together.  I wish Adam were here too but he'll be joining us in a few days.  Traveling with big kids is the reward for car trips with screaming babies and bored toddlers.  I used to expend a great deal of energy amassing a bag of tricks and keeping children entertained and now they entertain me.  We listened to music and chatted and listened to an audio book--well, Mark didn't.  He is categorically opposed to being forced into books.  Also, Emma said she tuned it out...

I enjoyed it.

There will be some blog silence around here for the next few days because I'll be in Nevada and busy admiring my nieces and nephews and being admired by my siblings.  (Possibly.  I think I'm their favorite though no one has ever come right out and said that.  I think they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.)

I wish my parents were going to be in Nevada.  They'll be home within the month and I'm glad.  I like them home.  My mom just emailed that my dad's beloved horse, Goldie, died.  That makes me sad.  It makes me miss my parents even more which doesn't exactly make sense but I miss them.

Goldie loved my dad.  This is what she would do while he worked in his shop.  He had a chain across the door or she would have gone right in.


This picture makes me feel incredibly homesick and nostalgic.


I'm pretty sure there will be sagebrush and yellow roses and draft horses in heaven.

4 comments:

Eric said...

So sorry to hear about Goldie. :(

Janet said...

Sorry. That was me. Sigh.

Olivia Cobian said...

Good post. We will all miss Goldie.

Leslie said...

Your post makes me feel nostalgic and homesick too! I'm sure you're right about the yellow roses and sagebrush...have a great trip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails