Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Comfort and joy

I've decided I'm on the One Day at a Time plan.  Looking at the swim team schedule gives me heart palpitations so I'm only looking at today.

And it's doable.  (Hopefully.)

I've also been thinking about mental health.  You know, for Adam's sake.  I'm guessing he doesn't really love being married to a crazy wife.  (Although he is pretty long suffering about it.)

There are certain no fail things that help me feel better when I feel like things are spinning out of control.  One is wearing my brothers' old shirt and my necklace that reminds me of my sisters.


My brothers (except Ammon I think) both wore this shirt.  When I was in college I took it out of their closet.  (That's why Ammon never wore it, I took it before he was big enough for it to fit him.)  I justify my thievery because I liked the shirt (probably not a foolproof excuse) and now it reminds me of them and my growing up years and it makes me happy.  This necklace makes me think of my sisters and when I wear them both together, I remember who I am.  Their sister.  It puts things in perspective.

Spending time with my family also helps.  They are funny.  They soothe me.  Saturday we had our oldest two with us on an errand run.  Mark didn't want to go so he hung out with Gavin instead.  We went to lunch (sorry Mark) and went grocery shopping.  It was just pleasant.  Adam saw a big sign in Snohomish with Smokey the Bear proclaiming "Only you can prevent forest fires."

Adam said, "It seems like it would be cheaper if they just called me and gave me a reminder."

He makes me laugh.  Every day and all the time.  What a happy life it is, really.  It's nice to keep that in mind.

(When things seem to be spinning out of control.)   


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

When I saw your picture (before reading your words) I thought, "Who is that headless woman and why did Thelma take her picture?" Then I thought you must have taken her picture because you liked her necklace, but you didn't have her permission to put her face on your blog.

I'm glad that headless woman turned out to be you and I like your necklace. Maybe if I had one like it I could get through one day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails