Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

One step at a time

We do not have to become heroes overnight.  Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up...discovering we have the strength to stare it down.
Eleanor Roosevelt 


I love to travel but I only truly sleep well in my own bed.

I love to move furniture, change wall colors and try new recipes but I hate new things.

I don't know what to do with contradictory myself.  

With a new school year about to start, my stomach is in a knot over some of the new things.  For one thing, Emma wants to be on the swim team.  I think that's fabulous and also not.  Because it also makes me afraid.  I am an introvert and the thought of interacting with a whole new social circle makes me want to hide under a blanket.  Also, there is no pool at our school and there is no district transportation so unless I can figure out a carpool, I sort of have a new part time job--Driving Miss Emma.

I am excited for Emma and happy that she has the moxie to enter uncharted territory.  I am mourning the loss of time:  hers, mine and our family's with the new commitment.  I am grateful that I don't have any really real problems to worry about so I'm obsessing about this.  I am dreading what I don't know anything about and may not be terrible at all.

I don't know what to do with contradictory myself.

So I will channel Eleanor Roosevelt.  I will work on one step at a time.  I won't become a hero overnight.  But I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

You already are a hero.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails