Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bringing in the big guns

Sometimes you just need to hear your parents' voices on the phone.  Conversations with them are few and far between because they are serving their mission but sometimes, a girl needs her mama.  I took a chance and called their little house on the river.

No answer.

I called my mom's cell phone.  I hoped I wasn't interrupting anything too important because it's not like I had a big crisis.

They were out doing errands.

When I heard my mom's voice, I got a little choked up and teary like you do when you are feeling distress and hear your mom's voice.

"What's wrong?" she insisted, a slight edge to her voice, like a mother gets.

"Nothing," I said, "I'm fine.  Really."

Then I told her what was troubling me and she naturally was on my side and bolstered me.  Then she said, "I'm going to hand the phone to your dad while I run in this store.  I'll be back."

My dad's cheerful voice greeted me.  I laid it all out for him too.  He told me I was going to be OK.

My mom came back to the car and my dad handed me back off to her.  His parting words, "I'm glad your problems are just challenges."

Then she proffered some advice, some razor sharp perspective that was exactly, EXACTLY what I needed to hear.

No wonder she gets paid so well to be my mother.

Wait.  She is being paid, right?

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

How I love those two! We get them back soon! Nice post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails