Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

A valentine to Adam

A few nights ago, Braeden was regaling us with arguments in favor of his latest scheme (a friend has invited him along on a family trip to Hawaii this summer).  I've told him that the jury is definitely still out.  He keeps scheming and bringing it up and haranguing us in a way that only Braeden can harangue.

He said, getting up from the table, "I'm not going to bother you about it.  I'm not going to pester you."

Adam and I looked at each other and laughed.  We laughed and laughed.  Without saying a word, we both knew why.  It was funny to us that 1) Braeden didn't think he had already been bothering us and 2) he really expected us to believe he wasn't going to in the future.

Later we were watching the Olympics and NBC had effectively manipulated our heartstrings into pulling for a certain Swiss skier.  Then she won gold and called her grandparents on her cell phone to tell them she won.  Adam and I both looked at each other with tears in our eyes.  The Olympics gets us every time.

That's one of the great things about a long marriage.  You laugh and cry at the same predictable intervals and no explanation is needed.



I also love that Adam orders food he knows I'll want to eat off his plate, he plans ahead for my tiredness or hunger on road trips, and he usually knows what I want before I do.  In the history of Adam I don't think there's been a time when he couldn't make me feel better.  He's had enough on the job training of handling a stressed out wife that I think he could be a successful 9-1-1 operator.  He stays calm.  And he gets me.

Except when he doesn't and I love that too.

I love the ways that we surprise each other and show each other parts of the world that we wouldn't have otherwise known about.

I know more about sports and politics and critical thinking than I would otherwise because of Adam and I like to give myself credit for introducing Adam to Jane Austen.

The longer we're married the more I feel like we're a team.  We each have our strengths and weaknesses.  We need each other.  Life with him is pretty grand.

I love you, Adam.


Happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I loved that Olympic moment as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails