Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Books I read in January 2014



Wildflower by Mark Seal***

Wildflower is a biography about Joan Root.  She was of English descent and was born and raised in Kenya.  She was a wonderfully capable woman and lived a full life as a safari leader and filmmaker and naturalist.  Towards the end of her life she worked hard to preserve a lake she loved and to protect the habitat from poachers and pollution.  It ended up getting her brutally murdered which was very sad.  This book was fascinating and made me mad at the same time.  Her husband was a cad and didn't deserve her undying love but he had it.



Eric Liddell by Janet and Geoff Benge***

I don't record all the books Mark and I read together but I liked this one.  It was an interesting story about an impressive and good man.  All I knew about Eric Liddell before I read this was that he was the Chariots of Fire guy.  There's good history in the book too...stuff I didn't know about China's history.  (I could write volumes about what I don't know about China's history.)


House of Sixty Fathers by Meindert DeJong ****

I read this book to Mark too.  I LOVED it.  It was a very sweet story about a little boy--and his pig--who were separated from his family and his resourcefulness and the kindness of strangers.  It made me cry.



Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel **

I liked and didn't like The Life of Pi (also by Yann Martel) It was well written and fascinating and I love a good twist but it was also violent and I don't like that.

I was hesitant to read this book for that reason.  I know Braeden LOVED The Life of Pi and I thought maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance so I should give this book a chance.

It was well written and interesting.  And violent.  I don't think I'd recommend it for that reason.  Too much.  Just seeing the cover makes me uneasy now (I spook easily).




The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel ****

I loved this book.  It was such a pleasant relief after Beatrice and Virgil.  I'm 90% sure I'd read the book before but I didn't remember it enough that it detracted from the story.  I don't remember books I've read which is why I've started recording them here.  I'd blame it on my encroaching dotage but I've been that way my whole life.

It's a sweet love story set during World War II.  There's more to it than that of course...I don't have the attention span for proper summaries of books...




I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella ****

Sophie Kinsella is incredibly entertaining.  I have enjoyed every book I've read by her.  I love her hapless characters and her wit.  This is a perfect romantic comedy.  You should be warned that there's language in this book that made me cringe and wince but the book was so good, I overlooked it.  Maybe I shouldn't be admitting that?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails