Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

We never talk anymore...

At first it hurt too much to talk so I quit.  I texted Adam.  He was sitting next to me and I peppered him with text messages.  I asked him about his day and then gave opinions on the Olympics we were watching and asked him a million questions because he inherently gets the Olympic events more than I do.

He sent me to bed early and I didn't talk.

I woke up the next morning and didn't talk.

I wrote Mark and Adam a note explaining that I was not going to talk in hopes that my throat would improve.

I wrote a note asking Adam to call the school because Emma was home sick too.

Braeden texted asking if he could come home for lunch. I texted back yes.  He brought Taco Bell for Mark and one of those slushy drinks for me.

It was the first thing I'd ingested in more than 24 hours that didn't cause excruciating pain.  I decided no talking was working.  I typed messages to Braeden and then he went back to school.  (Also he loaded the dishwasher.  I didn't have to guilt him, just point.)

Mark and I had a remarkably productive school day.  He read aloud everything that needed reading and he got his school work done.  Emma finally woke up and looked terrible.  I was glad I didn't feel as bad as she looked.  I wrote her a note.  I pantomimed that she needed to drink water.  I inundated her with written questions about her health.  She asked if she could go watch Netflix.  (I think to get away from my manic note writing.)

Both Mark and Emma became adept at communicating with me.  I'd snap my fingers and Mark would come in the room where I was to get instructions. (Turns out I can snap pretty loudly.)  I even managed to give Mark a piano lesson.  Lots of hand motions.

Last night Adam and I watched the Olympics, side by side.  I had my laptop open and typed him messages.  I'd tap his arm and point to the screen.  I think I'm a lot of fun.  

So what's the point of all of this?  There's isn't a point.  I'm sick.  I don't have to have a point. 

I'm still maintaining my vow of silence today.  I talked to Adam on the phone really briefly yesterday, in a whisper, and it hurt a lot.  I may give up talking altogether. It worked for the little mermaid.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

The Little Mermaid had her looks, her pretty face, and don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE! You've got all that too, honey. Remember our Little Mermaid summer? I'm pretty sure I still have the whole movie memorized.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails