Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

State of the union

Adam:  We had a rare Monday night with just the two of us last night.  The kids had a church youth activity. (On a Monday!  I know!)  Adam and I had dinner at a Brazilian restaurant which was delicious and then we went to Costco.  Once inside Costco, I realized I hadn't brought my phone which contained my list.  I couldn't remember anything on the list!  I bought 6 gallons of milk because that's what I do every time I darken Costco's door and some contact solution but I couldn't remember anything else I needed.  I had a sad little empty cart.  I looked around as we stood in line and I lamented to Adam that the other shoppers with their full carts were the successes.  He said, "But I'd rather be married to you."

See why I like that guy? He's nice to me even when I forget what I need at Costco.  (It was canola oil and sour cream by the way.  Among other things.)

Emma:  is at that delightful stage where she is in driver's ed. and knows enough to criticize my driving, but she still hasn't mastered staying in her own lane.  (She comments on my driving when she takes a break from correcting my grammar...and my grammar isn't terrible, but she expects perfection.)  Braeden has never corrected my grammar but he went through the same stage with my driving.  When Emma told me I didn't have the proper following distance behind the car in front of me, I told her I was a better driver than she was.  She paused then said, "You didn't have to...that was a low blow."  But she smiled. I love that girl.

Mark:  went with me to the junior high yesterday.  We picked up a sheaf of papers for me to fill out.  While we were there, he whispered in my ear that he definitely wants to go to school all day next year.  The world tilted in a seismic shift and I had to swallow the big lump in my throat.  And then I had to remind myself that it's not about me, it's about him.  As much as I want it to be about me...

Braeden: gathered me in his arms yesterday while I cried a few tears about next year.  My life is going to be turned on its head.  Maybe because he's naturally empathetic, maybe because he's the oldest, maybe because he's been at it for so long...I don't know.  But that kid gets me.

Me:  I need to put away the Valentine's decorations.  And research house plants.  Because I want more, they just have to be the hard to kill variety.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Wow. It's almost like you'll be an empty nester next year! How do you stop these little ones from growing up so quickly?! If you find out, pass it on...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails