Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Birthdays are great

The day before my/our birthday, I was talking to Olivia on the phone and we discussed that maybe our childhood ruined us for adult birthdays.  We were pretty much queen of the realm on our birthdays.  My mom made everything wonderful.  We were The Birthday Girl.  My mom made all of our favorite foods and our favorite cake and we got out of any work there was to do and we got nice gifts.

Now, we're adults....

Except.  My birthdays are still pretty great.

The celebrating started the night before because we were all together and I wasn't sure that would happen on the big day.

Mark and I had devised a treasure hunt for Adam.  He followed the clues (which Mark didn't think were hard enough) and put together a puzzle.


It was fancily painted by yours truly.  It is a "gift certificate" for a new kite to be purchased at a kite shop when we go to San Diego for spring break.

My gift was a necklace from The Vintage Pearl to replace my other necklace from The Vintage Pearl that I lost.  (Which had made me sad because I loved that necklace as much as I hate to lose things.)

Our kids gave me some plants which was exactly what I wanted.

The day was filled with phone calls and text messages and Facebook messages and generous gifts from our parents and emails and small gifts dropped by and that all resulted in me feeling loved.

Adam took the afternoon off work which was wonderful.  I love sharing a birthday with that guy.  We had dinner at Pizza Pie Cafe.  Adam and I haven't had sugar or bread of any kind since the middle of January but we did last night.

(Today we're back to our plan.)

Maybe my birthdays aren't exactly like they were in childhood, but they're a good day.  Any time you feel completely loved, it is a good day.



2 comments:

Gwilliam Fam said...

You haven't had sugar or bread for 2 months?! How? Very impressive. And I'm glad you had a great day.

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad it was great, Birthday Girl.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails