Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Unconditionally

My cousin Rachel posted this picture on Facebook last week:


It's a picture of our grandma and Rachel's dad, my uncle Joe.  Rachel posted that she misses Grandma.  So do I.  Seeing that dear face brings back sun-drenched rose colored memories.  A whole childhood full of them.

It is more than that though.  Seeing my grandma makes me want to be better.

I love that Joe is shading her face from the sun with his hat.  It speaks volumes about my grandma because without exception, her children loved her.  They appreciated her goodness and steadiness and were attentive to her needs.

I want to be the kind of mother that my children love unconditionally.

My grandma's children disappointed her at times; they are human.  They didn't always measure up probably to what she had in mind.  She was always on their side though.  Always.  I maybe saw a little worry cross her face at times but I never heard her say a negative thing about her children or grandchildren.

I want my children and someday grandchildren to know I love them unconditionally.

If there's one single lesson I learned from my grandma's life, it is her eternal optimism and unshakable strength.  Hard things happened to her.  She moved across the country a few times.  Her house burned down.  Her husband died.  She forged on.  Her faith was strong and she had as much peace as anyone I've ever seen.

I want to trust the Lord and believe everything will always work out unconditionally.

I have my work cut out for me but it's good to have a goal.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to Grandma Dahl! It makes me want to be better too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails