Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Moving day(s)

This is taxing.

Today we move Emma in.  She was stressed last night and feeling (what?!?) a little shaky about leaving home.  It broke my heart a little.  Braeden wrapped his arms around her and said, "You know you will have me right there."  They were both coincidentally wearing BYU t-shirts and I felt this little catch in my throat because those two are some of the best things in my life and I'm glad they have each other.




Yesterday we moved Braeden in (although he slept here last night). 

We met his roommate (he was very nice, he likes the color blue apparently, he is a mechanical engineer major so he can help Braeden with any math needs, and he just returned from a mission in West Virginia).

Walking across the bookstore, someone yelled, "Elder Davis!" and threw her arms around Braeden's waist.  (She was short.)  She is from Virginia--hence the Elder Davis.

Across campus and at Target I kept having to get him to slow down.  He has long legs and a quick pace that was only accelerated by his excitement.  Finally at Target I told him I wouldn't buy him one thing unless he waited for me (and I'm not a particularly slow walker!). We bought all the things and got Braeden as set up as possible.   He's pretty Spartan in his needs and I'm not too worried about it.  For one thing we're close and for another thing he kept himself alive on cereal and quesadillas for two years so there's no reason to think that trend won't continue.

Braeden is happy and excited and it's hard not to get swept up in his enthusiasm (even though my heart hurts because college feels like such a big milestone).  Over and over he'd look around and say, "This is going to be so great!" and "I'm so happy!" and "Thank you for everything."

His prayers are full of gratitude for the opportunity.  Mine too.  I'm beyond thrilled that Braeden and Emma get to go to BYU together.  (It is just a little bit sad and unsettling for Adam and me too.)

Monday we went to BYU for Family Home Evening.  We walked all around and showed them where their classes were.  We commented on all the changes from what I started calling Pax Thelma--the Golden Age of BYU when the JKB was the JKHB and you could walk all the way through the library and out the south side and there was a building known as the syphilis.  It was a simpler time.

Walking across campus, Adam said, "Do you wish you could come back here?"

I said no.  Then I thought about it a little and said, "Yes."

Love. That. Place. 

3 comments:

Marianne said...

I love it too! Good luck with that big transition. They'll do so well!

Mark Dahl said...

Things go around and around Thelma. It was the JKB when I was there. Maybe your JKHB will come back. So happy for Braeden and Emma
Your mom

Olivia Cobian said...

Go Cougs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails