Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

Apparently I'm the exterminator

Yesterday morning I saw a tarantula in the garage.

It's legs were moving vaguely and it seemed to be lying on its back.  Then it was still.  I took a picture to text to Emma.  (She hates spiders so of course that's what I did.)

I included my foot in the picture to provide scale.

She texted back, "Yeah, I saw that this morning when I left for work."

Was she tempted to move it?  Tell anyone?  Keep it from climbing into one of my shoes?  (My shoes live in the garage.)

I showed Braeden and he got a pained expression because it appeared dead.  (He will never not ever kill a bug.)

I showed Adam and he said, "Yeah, we need to get rid of that."

Then he got in his car and drove away.  He feels about spiders like Emma does.

I recognized that by we Adam meant me so I got a shovel.  I scooped up the little guy and carried it outside.  I didn't fling it on the hill which seems like the thing to do because I wanted to show Mark.  It's not every day of the week you get a tarantula around here.  I tilted the shovel into the dirt beyond the sidewalk.  The spider righted itself and then ran right at my feet.  Seriously. 

I was too surprised to do anything except beat a hasty retreat back into the garage.

I told Braeden and he said, "That's funny."

I said, "It wasn't funny.  It was coming at me.  Its teeth were bared."

"Teeth?" he asked skeptically.  Then he added, "Don't hurt it."

When Mark got home I said, "Guess what was in the garage today?"

He said, "The tarantula?  Yeah I saw it on my way to school this morning."

What it all comes down to is that I'm on my own when it comes to tarantulas.  If you hear a scream from the Pleasant Grove area, you'll know I slid my foot into my shoe and a tarantula was inside.

(I'm going to check my shoes from now on.)

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Hey Thelma this is Hyrum. I have a bug collection for school this year, and your tarantula would look awesome in it. :) Tell Mark I'll give him 5 bucks if he catches it and freezes it for me.

Geri said...

I am not sure if Hyram's idea of freezing the tarantula fits in with your family's idea of not hurting it. I've been cold (freezing) camping and it is painful. I also think all those kids, including Adam, need to have an extra job like cleaning the garage and weeding around the rock wall for their not taking care of that horrible thing.

Olivia Cobian said...

I wonder if the tarantula laid eggs in your garage?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails