Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Books I read November 2017

Not many books.  It's been a busy month.


Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman ***

The is book was about Jewish people of French descent living in the Caribbean.  One of the characters was Camille Pissarro, the impressionist.  It was a good book with great characters and setting.  Also it made me want to go look up paintings by Pissarro.




The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara **

We read this for bookclub.  (The single reason I would ever read this book, especially at holiday time.)  It was a bit interesting at times but mostly I skimmed it (at the car dealership while I was getting my oil changed).



The Family Fortune by Laurie Horowitz ***

This book was a modern retelling of Persuasion by Jane Austen.  It's one of my favorites and this was a good retelling.  It's set in Boston among elites who inherited their money.  Her family was sufficiently insufferable, she was practical and the only voice and reason and her long lost love was the hero you expect in a Jane Austen retelling.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails