Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Mind your towns that start with G

I did my student teaching in Goshen, UT.  Every morning that semester my friends Susan, Jana, Jen and I would drive there in Susan's black car.  Jen would always have a Diet Coke, Jana would have likable angst (it's a winning combination where some people can just shine) and Susan was just Susan.  She was VERY enthusiastic about everything and sometimes would take her hands off the wheel and clap them excitedly.  We had fun together.  They knew I was engaged to Adam before my roommates did.  Even though it was a drive and by the luck of the draw my classmates doing their student teaching in places like Provo didn't have to get up as early as we did, I liked Goshen.

There's a new young couple in our ward and they are on the committee to plan the Christmas party with us.  Adam, who is unfailingly good at making small talk with people, asked her, "Now are you from Goshen?"  (She had mentioned in a talk a few months ago where she was from.)

She scoffed and said no decidedly.  She seemed a little offended that anyone would even think she was from Goshen.  "I'm from Genola," she said.  It was like someone thought she was from Goshen and she was really from someplace like New York City.

Here's the thing about Genola (population 1484).  We used to drive through it on our way to Goshen (population 929) and I didn't even know there was such a place until Tabor told me he had to drop off some livestock in Genola and I said, "Where is that?"

Now I feel like I need to go to Genola again and see what all the fuss is about. Maybe it is THAT much better than Goshen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails