Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2017

When a mouse is a blessing

I'm grateful for a little mouse which is weird because I hate mice.

They are terrible.

I would rather have snakes, spiders, mutant ninja turtles, anything in my house rather than mice.

Last week, I was putting something away in the dungeon.  It's the fond name we have for our cold storage room.  (And this time of year, it really is cold.)  Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a mouse dead in a trap.  I couldn't give it a good look because I am too squeamish.  I did what any sane person would do in that situation, I averted my eyes and went in search of Adam.  He feels about mice like I do but he is more of a grown up in these situations.

He headed to the basement to look at the trap.  I stayed in the kitchen.

He said, "You have to come with me."

"Why?" I asked.

"For moral support."

I walked halfway down the stairs but that was all of the moral support I was able or willing to give.

My worst suspicions were confirmed and Adam came upstairs for a bag to deposit the mouse in before throwing it out.

"I love you," I said in an encouraging way.

"If you loved me, you wouldn't make me take care of the mouse," he said.

"I love you 99%," I said.

Then I went upstairs because I didn't want to see the mouse or even the bag holding the mouse.

Our pest control guy came over (we get periodic treatments on account of the tarantulas and the like) and I told him about the mouse.  I confessed my mortal fear of mice and he confessed that he's afraid of frogs.  Frogs?  No judgement though.  When stuff is scary, it is scary.

He inspected the basement and set more traps and was naming all the possible entry points he would inspect.  One of them was under the kitchen sink.

So I went upstairs to clear out beneath the sink.  It was wet and there were the beginnings of mold.  There was also a really slow drip coming from the disposal.

I cleaned it all up and we got a new disposal (which Adam and Mark, the wunderkind, installed).  Getting a new disposal wasn't really a dream come true for us but catching the leak before it caused more damage made me realize the mouse was a blessing.

And I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Gwilliam Fam said...

If you give a mouse a cookie...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails