Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Battle of the Books

I don't have a picture and I wish I did, or maybe I'm glad I don't.

The teacher team had costumes.  We were the Wonder Dogs (inspired by Bobby the Wonder Dog: a True Story--and yes that's the complete title because you have to know the complete title) and we had capes and dog ears and an eye mask-worn up on our foreheads.  Then we had our regular face masks and I was wearing my glasses (because my eyes were struggling).

I've never had so many cranial accessories.

I brought a stuffed dog of Mark's that is a puppet and barks to the tune of How Much Is that Doggie in the Window.

My student who is a namer, much like Emma was when she was little, promptly named him Boris.  It totally fit.  Some people can just name things.

My student who was SUPER serious about the competition and was quickly rereading books in snatches of time all morning said that dog was mocking him.  I said, "No, he's cheering for you."

We assembled in the library and we had a teacher videoing it and my class was watching the video from my classroom.  An aide took over for my class and she asked me what my attention signal was for my class.  I said, "I don't know...hey?"

I'm not really into those cutesy things teachers say to get students' attention.  "One two three, eyes on me.  One two eyes on you." I think I just use a mom voice and it works.

We soundly conquered the children.  We gloated as much as is socially acceptable when grown women are competing with 8 year olds.  The dog started cheering for them but they wanted me to make it sing when we got a point too.  The teachers missed a few questions (not on purpose) and the students knew the answers so they loved that.

I think the teachers, besides our trash talking (as much as is socially acceptable when grown women are competing with 8 year olds) were all secretly rooting for the students.  We clapped for their correct answers and leaned forward encouragingly when they were trying to think of the right answer.  

It might just be in our DNA.

After trouncing them, we told them how amazing they were and applauded their great efforts.  I walked back to class with my three and they were happy and energized and I think had had fun.

I received a heroes welcome from my students.  They had written messages on their white boards and held them up and cheered for me.

It was a good day to be a teacher.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

This makes me so happy!

Olivia Cobian said...

Why does this make me cry? I guess just because you're fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails