Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Headache day

 It's inexplicable. Sometimes I just have a migraine.  I don't know why.  Thankfully they are less frequent than they used to be.

Yesterday was one of those days.  I woke up feeling awful.  I forced myself to eat a piece of toast so I could take some Advil.  I felt nauseous and like the last thing I wanted to do was be a school teacher.  I contemplated staying home and getting a sub.  The sub plans felt more daunting than just going to school though.

I moved gingerly and felt brittle.  I talked softly to my students in the hopes that they would return the favor.

They didn't.

I told them I had a headache and please stop yelling.  I said, "You may not realize you're yelling, but if you could talk softer, I would really appreciate it."

One of them asked me if I would give them candy if they were quiet.  I said no.

Because my head hurt and I wasn't feeling all that friendly on the inside.

I finally gave up and left school early.  Part of a day was easier to miss than all of a day.  I lay some stacks of papers on my desk with instructions.  I told my students I was leaving and they were going to be getting a sub.  I told them to be good.

Several of them wanted to hug me.

One girl threw her arms around my waist and chanted, "Don't go! Don't go!"

I said, "Please stop yelling."

It was rough.

I drove home tentatively, my head aching with every bump on the road (and I live in Pleasant Grove so there were a lot of bumps).

I crawled into bed and slept for a solid two hours.  I ate some toast and felt a little more human, but also still pretty terrible.

Some days are headache days.  They just are.  Some days it's OK to wave the white flag.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

So sorry! I hope you feel better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails